Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shanti & The Patron Saint of Music

My oldest daughter Shanti is a singer of songs. Shanti means peace in Sanskrit, her name my attempt to bring some calm to the little being whose presence in my womb I could already feel was dynamic and intense. From the time Shanti was a wee little girl she could be found singing her heart out – as she played with her dolls, or built sand kingdoms in the sand box and as she went about her Shanti-day. I have a vivid memory of her in the bathtub at the tender age of three chanting in all her God-given nakedness: “ Holy Father, Holy Father,…. can you hear me,… can you hear me?” her cherubic voice resonating the little tile- walled cathedral. All peace aside, Shanti was and is a force of nature. A fierce believer in all things fair and beautiful Shanti would start small insurrections in the school lunchroom and then wrap herself in silken scarves and dance around the kitchen like the fairy princess she was. As she grew, music remained her most loyal companion - the piano a source of comfort and healing; her voice a growing crescendo of self-expression. Today, the power of her voice can shatter glass and the words of her songs can shatter your heart. As a child Shanti would sing herself to sleep and now as a beautiful young woman she sings the world awake. And so, after completing my first two icons ( by orthodox tradition you are obliged to paint first the Archangels Michael & Gabriel) I purposed to paint an icon of St. Cecilia, patron saint of music, for my lovely Shanti. As is my custom, I began to research the saint and found, that despite the many paintings and depictions of Cecilia, she in fact did not play an instrument or sing as a profession! Cecilia was born into a patrician family in 2nd century Rome and into a culture of fierce paganism. A devout Christian, Cecilia was beheaded for her beliefs. According to the legend she did not die for three days, but remained in a state of ecstasy singing until she finally succumbed. Her immense determination and fierce adherence to her beliefs is a wonderful reminder of the energy and resolve required to remain true to your artistic vision. And for Shanti, my force of-nature-singer-of- songs child an appropriate saint!

4 comments:

Pardis said...

That was really beautiful and inspiring.

Theresa said...

You have such a way with words. Have you ever thought about writing a book??

Unknown said...

I have known this lady for so many years now... she is an enigma...from taoist alchemy to patron saints; there is so muc she has internalized and has to offer to the world. Spritually, mentally, and physically; absolutely dazzling. Andrea Bowes, You rock!!!

JohnP said...

Wonderful art and inspiring reflections - I will be back often! Thanks for pointing me to your blog.